- To engage in the area policy-making by advancing scientific argumentation and by promoting recognition of Urbanism as a specific field of scientific research, of education and of professional practice.
- To encourage public debate on urbanism, development and sustainability in the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries CPLP where ULHT has had a status of the Consulting Observer since the 11th General Meeting of the Council of Ministers, 2006.
The activity of this Group has been based on the fact that in Portugal the education in Urbanism has been recognized as a specific area only at the ULHT. This calls for providing a continuous support to the 1st and 2nd Cycles, thus creating conditions for education and research in a rather difficult social and political framework, including a similar situation in Brazil and the Portuguese Speaking Countries in Africa (PALOP).
As regards dissemination, the objective has been to strengthen activities such as:
- Publication of scientific articles, books and conference papers (see Publications);
- Editing Malha Urbana;
- Organization of national and international scientific conferences, seminars and other events (see Fieldtrips);
- Networking through active membership in international research and dissemination networks.
In both research and dissemination, a particular importance has been given to the concerted promotion of cooperation and integration at nation and international levels, and thus to ensure quality, stability and continuity of the Research Group âUrbanismâ and related academic programs at ULHT (see M.A. Studies in Urbanism and Ph.D. Studies in Urbanism).
Carlos Smaniotto Costa
Fernando Monteiro Figueira
JosÃ© Geraldo SimÃµes JÃºnior
NATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS â CONCLUDED
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS â CONCLUDED